Secondary School Teachers: Art, English, French, Math
Part-time or full-time options
Posted: January 28, 2020
Closing Date: February 28, 2020, or when filled
Duncan Christian School invites applications for secondary school French, English, Art, and Math teaching positions.
- Secondary French (leave of absence):This position would include French, and if desired, may include additional courses so that it becomes full-time. If the successful teacher candidate prefers to teach only secondary French at a part-time level (approx. 55%), the school would likely be able to accommodate such a request. This position begins in late August at the start of the 2020-2021 school year and concludes at the end of the school year in June 2021. This position is a one-year temporary position while a teacher is on a leave-of-absence. However, there may be opportunities to continue into a permanent position.
- Secondary English (maternity leave): This position would include teaching Secondary English courses, and may include additional courses in order to create a full-time position if that is the preference of the successful candidate. This is a maternity leave position and would begin in late August 2020, and is expected to conclude at the end of the 2020-21 school year, in June.
- Secondary Art (continuing position): The secondary art teacher is responsible for teaching three or four art courses. Although this can remain a part-time position between 40-55%, a full-time position could be developed if desired by the successful candidate. This would include teaching secondary courses in other disciplines. The position begins at the start of the 2020-21 school year (in late August 2020) and is expected to be a continuing (permanent) position, pending a performance review and provided contractual obligations are met.
- Secondary Math (continuing position): This position would include teaching secondary math courses, including Precalculus 12, Precalculus 11, Foundations and Precalculus 10, and potentially other courses, such as Physics 11/12. Science courses may be part of the teaching assignment, depending on the interests and strengths of the successful candidate. This position is expected to be full-time unless the successful candidate prefers part-time with a focus on teaching only math. The position begins at the start of the 2020-21 school year and is expected to be a continuing (permanent) position, pending a performance review and provided contractual obligations are met.
DCS is blessed with a staff who see their work as part of something bigger – an act of worship for the Kingdom of God. Our staff focus on providing engaging learning opportunities and importantly, seek to give students many opportunities to take part in formational practices that nurture disciples of Jesus. Rather than simply informing students with the latest content, aiming hearts at Jesus through how we teach, how we interact with one another, and how we love rightly*is a hugely important part of our community. (*Quote from James K.A. Smith, “Desiring the Kingdom”, 2009)
DCS is pleased to welcome over 400 PreK-12 students, including approximately 115 indigenous students from Cowichan Tribes. These families are part of our identity and add richly to the cultural diversity of the school. We seek staff who have a heart for all types of people from all backgrounds, socio-economic situations, and cultures. Our staff work hard to create an environment where children and youth feel a strong sense of acceptance and belonging.
DCS is located on the eastern side of Vancouver Island in the beautiful Cowichan Valley. Duncan Christian School has undergone significant growth over the past ten years and is currently operating at or near capacity. Most Cowichan Valley churches are represented within our school community and we are a non-denominational Christian school with an open enrolment policy. Duncan Christian School is governed by a 6-10 member board of directors representing the membership of Duncan Christian School. Our World Belongs to God is a document that is affirmed by our society and included in our school bylaws. It may help you understand the Reformed roots that continue to impact our mission and vision.
To apply, please submit the following by email to Jeremy Tinsley, Principal, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- cover letter
- resume (with contact information for at least 3 professional references)
- university transcripts (only for new teachers/if you are recently graduated)
- a statement of your personal faith (1 page)
- your philosophy of Christian teaching (1 page)
- valid BC teaching certificate (or anticipated date of BC certification)
Thank you for your interest in a position at DCS. Although we appreciate all applications, DCS will contact only those we select for interviews.
Staff at DCS must abide by the policies set forth in the employment contract and all teachers are required to be certified by the Province of BC.